Sunday, March 28, 2010

Elder Rasmussen the Therapist!

Hey Family-
How are you guys doing? I love reading your letter and hearing how great you are doing. I’m doing great like always, this last week we got stood up by like 12+ lessons, but still ended the week with 32 lessons. The Lord is still really blessing us in this area. It's great to see the Lord’s hands in this work. But this last week was a long good week of hard work. I’ve never been more tired in my whole life but I’ve never had so much fun. It's crazy how you can be so tired but still be productive, haha it's one reason this really is the work of the Lord.
But for our week.

This week was a pretty good week. We taught a lot of good lessons, and found some good new people to teach. We had president’s interviews this last week also. It's always good to sit down with president. He is a really amazing guy. But it's going to be interesting to see what happens to this area, because my companion and the other elder in our area leave next transfer 4 weeks into the transfer. Then Elder Parsons and I who are both new missionaries (I’m on my 4th he's on his 3rd) we have both been here for 3 transfers each. So it's going to be really interesting to see what happens. I think I might stay here another transfer. But we'll see, it shall be interesting.

This last week we ran into some funny people… There is this one kid. Yeah, he is crazy. He has researched everything about our church, and right now is meeting with us. He's not very interested in joining a church right now but he is coming along. He wrote a personal paper on the history of the church and everything. From prophets, to the great apostasy, to the restoration. It was crazy, it was a way detailed paper and all correct. He has done a ton of research. We sat down with him, and pretty much told him that if he wants to find out he has to personally ask. So we'll see where he goes with it. I think he was a little overwhelmed, because at church during gospel principles class he was like sleeping and not saying a word. Then he personally went to primary and watched the kids. He was laughing and having a great time watching them sing. So hey, I guess whatever makes them have a fun time at church!!

Then we met this one guy. Guo DX (means brother Di Xiong), but he came and we found out that he used to be a monk, and then he found Jesus Christ, and right now is a minister for The True Church of Jesus Christ. At his church all the people were bashing on the LDS church to him telling us how evil we are. Well he did what every person should do, he told us, I won’t listen to them I decided to learn for myself. So we met with him, taught him the restoration and it went really well. He wouldn't come to church because he had to go do missionary work for his other church. But he is a way cool guy, if he starts really reading and praying I think that he will come along and see the truthfulness of these things. He already thinks that we might have the full truth. So it was a good starter lesson.

The lady the Lord handed to me on the street. I met with her, while my companion met with another lesson. We set a baptismal date with her. But the problem is she is literally working herself to death. She is working like 13-16 hour days. She called us and told us she is like way stressed and going crazy. She needs this gospel so much. But with this way too busy work schedule we are trying to find another time to sit down with her and teach her the gospel. But she also is like starving to death. Because I think she might start doing the anorexic thing. But it was a good lesson, we taught about Jesus Christ and the Atonement, it was strong. It helped me realize the true importance of the Atonement in my life.

Yesterday my companion got pretty sick. He was throwing up and stuff. So we went on temporary exchanges. Elder Parson’s companion went with my companion to take a nap, and Elder Parsons and I went out on the town last night. It was so much fun. We taught 3 good lessons. Also found some good people that we can hopefully start teaching. I love just going out and talking to everyone, it makes me so happy. Even though we get rejected more then you can count in an hour. That one that accepts makes you so happy the others don't even matter. As long as you give them a chance at accepting this gospel you've done your job as a missionary. But then we were sitting in front of a restaurant after contacting everyone all night, right before we were about to head home. A random guy came up to us and was like I want to learn English. so we set him up on this Saturday night to teach him "English" little does he know (because his English is sick) we are going to give him the gospel 101 in English, and teach him some other stuff. Haha but we figure the best way to learn English is to learn about something that will bless your life at the same time haha.

Then we have a Huang bike. We say the bike part because he owns a little bike shop around the corner. Wu Guan Chen our stud friend that comes around with us every day he found this guy also. haha if only all members around the world would have this faith and find 2 people each to get baptized think how much the membership of the church would grow. But Huang DX is doing great. He has been coming to church the past 3 weeks. But the only problem is he can only come to the 1st hour. He keeping all of the commandments and doing everything else. but he just can't come to all 3 hours of church. The standard for getting baptized is before baptism come to church for 3 hours once. Then you just have to promise you'll try your hardest to take of the sacrament every single week. But he is an amazing man, he is so sweet, and willing to take care of anyone. He has a bike fixer upper shop, when people need their bikes fixed they bring it by, and fixes it as a service thing. So he can't be away because if someone needs to get to work and their bike brakes, he has to be there to fix it so this person can get to work on time. It's all a service thing. Has nothing to do with money, but man he is a great man. But soon hopefully, he'll be able to get baptized.

English class was amazing again. Haha one girl asked me a way strange question. She said, in America are you handsome. Haha how are you supposed to answer that. So I sneak my way around that question and explained how in high school its almost about how someone looks and that why you like them or not, but when you get married it's about the looks too, but mostly because of the inside heart connection you have with that person or LOVE. Then I told them my personal 3 keys to a successful marriage. 1. Every day say the 3 most important words to your spouse I LOVE YOU 2. Hug and kiss every single day 3. Go to church together and as a family. Haha so that’s therapy Brock coming right at you. I literally talked to them a lot about marriage and the wonderful blessing it is... Haha it was way funny. I really do love my English class. haha all the boys in the class were complaining that the girls in Taiwan all are shallow and need a guy with money a car and stuff. All the girls argued back that that’s not true, haha it was funny to see that unfold.

Things are still as great as ever. Things started out a little rough with the new companion. but I’ve never been happier, and am learning so much from him. I’m really grateful for the Lord allowing me to be with him. Through all my companions I really can see the Lord molding me to the servant he wants me to be. Then as I’m with other missionaries I’ll take the things the Lord has taught me and hopefully bless the lives of other missionaries and people around me. But things are going great.

I love my Savior Jesus Christ and will continue to give my will to him and my life. I know as I do he'll help me find my new life, that will change me forever for the good. I’m so grateful for this opportunity in my life to know God!!

I love you family

-Elder Rasmussen

I came up with a quote while studying faith...

"Just have Faith, and go DO" - Brock Rasmussen