Sunday, April 24, 2011

Another Solid Week in the Mission Field!

My Family,

Well sorry last week’s mail didn't go through. But this week was just another solid week in the mission field. Serving the Lord just keeps getting better and better as time goes on. But the only bad thing is that time goes faster and faster. It just doesn't slow down, regardless how hard you prayer for it to. I think that's the only thing that I haven't received an answer on in my mission through prayer, slower time. I just love this so much, I want to come home and start life, but I don't because I absolutely love this. I've never been happier, and I just love seeing the life's of people change when they hear the simple truths of the gospel! It's the most wonderful thing in the world. It's so great to spend all my time on missionary work, not really worrying about the other affairs in my life. Letting the Lord make of me what He wants me to become. It's a wonderful thing to see myself becoming more like the Savior. I can feel the change and I know it's real because I can see the change in myself also. I've become more Christ like and continue to each and every day. My love for mankind has greatly deepened and my want to help others the rest of my life has been secreted into the chambers of my heart. I just love service, and hope to be a service to my fellow men the rest of my life. If anyone ever needs help I hope to be there within minutes to give the aid the Savior, Jesus Christ would have if He were here. I love lending a helping hand and lifting the feeble needs of all those around me. It's also fun to be looked up to as an example and having questions and problems being brought to you. Because through these opportunities I can gain my love for each missionary and also grow in knowledge of God as I search out these problems and learn how to overcome them by myself in turn to help the others who need it. It makes me so happy, and grateful for the Holy Ghost, that I can feel lead and guide me in all I do. What a marvelous work I'm involved in.

Well this last week was really amazing. I saw many mighty miracles. We went on exchanges this week with Song Shan. I just can't say how much I Adore and love that area. The members there, I just love so much. But I really wanted to go there so we went on exchanges. Well we were out contacting and some huge miracles happened. I saw this man that was walking down the street. So I went and talked with Him. He was 50 years old and had a family of 4. I started to teach Him about the importance of family and the gospel. He had some interest. Then I told him about prayer and the power of it. I prayed with him right there on the street. It was amazing, after I said the opening prayer; he just looked at me and kind of giggled. I've never heard a 50 year old man giggle, especially in Taiwan. He just started giggling and was way happy. I asked him how he felt. He said I can't explain it but it's amazing. So I taught him how he can receive this feeling everyday through baptism. I invited him to be baptized. He wasn't willing to set a date, but he wanted to keep meeting with missionaries and learn more about the church. He said the closing prayer, the first prayer he's ever said, he started giggling again and loved it. It was really cute to see this 50 year old, bald dad giggling and just loving life. It was awesome. So after he started walking away, I stopped and prayed and thanked God for the opportunity to meet him. Then I turned around and saw a man walking down the street. I thought I recognized Him. For some reason He turned at the same time and saw me. Then it started to come back. I pointed my finger at him and started walking toward Him, trying to remember His name, because the last time I saw him was over a year ago. As I got closer and closer His name still wasn't coming. then I shook his hand and it came. Brother? (you don't need to know his name ha ha). He was like, “you remember.” He was so excited. I told Him we are going to take you to church right now and we are going to continue to teach you about the gospel. He said OK, so we walked to the church. I was excited to see him. He is a great man. In the lesson, he said I haven't told you the real reason I stopped meeting with the missionaries. At this time for some reason it just clicked and I knew. He was living a certain lifestyle contrary to the Church. He has never told me and he hasn't met the other companion so he didn't want to say. I just told him I already know why, just going off faith that what the spirit had just told me was true. We talked about how it was the worst thing he could do and he is directly disobeying God's plan. He needs to stop and repent. He then said I hate coming to your church. Because every time I come I feel really guilty, but when I go to other churches I don't feel guilty at all. Then I had the thought to share a story in the Book of Mormon. We talked about him being guilty in our church because it was the true church of God and that here he could learn that what he was doing was in disobedience to the Law of God. We used the B.O.M. and invited him to repent and be baptized. He said he couldn't. It was sad to see someone flat out say that he couldn't because he has this problem. It was really sad. But the Spirit was present and he understood what he needed to do. So it was a good lesson and hopefully things will work out and he will be able to overcome this part of his life and become a happier person through living the gospel of Jesus Christ. But it was really interesting to run into him the one night I'm in Song Shan. It was also great just to see all the old members and friends there. It was a great renewal for me. I walked into the church and Guan Chen was there with his work friend that is now investigating the church. Then Wu momma walked in with her fruit to give to the missionaries and help them teach. It was just great, I loved it so very much. I love those people.

Something really special happened also this week. The recorder in the office is going home in one transfer so president needed a new elder to come in and be trained in this job so that next transfer he can take over. After much discussion with President Grimley we came down to 2 Elders who were the best fits for the job. One of them is a fireball he loves contacting and being outside. But this new job is all inside on the computer and only at night can He go out after he's finished the needed stuff. The other Elder was fit for the job, he was more of a mellow Elder and would work great inside. Well president eventually decided on the first. I had the opportunity to call him and tell him to come in and start accepting the training from the current Elder. I called him and told Him he's moving and coming to the office. He was just obedient and just said OK, but didn't really sound way excited and ready. But I had a feeling to give him an invite of the phone. I said elder______, I want you to kneel down tonight and ask God if this is what he wants you to do. He said OK, and hung up the phone. Well a couple days ago I was doing some stuff on the computer and he came up to me and said, can I talk to you in personal. So we walked back to the back room, he said Elder Rasmussen I'd just like to thank you so much for giving me that invite. I did it and received some of the most personal and special revelation I've ever received, and it has changed my mission. I also know that I'm supposed to be here. It was music to my ears and a small warm feeling covered my body and the arms of God wrapped around me. How grateful I was for the Lord allowing me to be a part of this Elder changing his mission and becoming happier. I knew the Lord was happy with what was going on and we could both feel it. I'm grateful for the power of inspiration! It is an amazing thing to be able to understand the feeling of the spirit and help others as well as yourself with those feelings. It was a sweet experience for me and made me appreciate this calling I have.

This last week I've been studying about Sacrifice and Covenants. It's been an amazing week to better understand the importance of the word covenant, and the importance of us knowing the word when we promise anyone anything, but especially a promise with God. It is a wonderful thing to have a loving perfect Heavenly Father that will always hold His end of the deal and bless us, but only according to our faithfulness in following through on our part of the deal. It's a wonderful thing though!! It makes me so grateful.

It was a great Easter Sunday.
As I sat there partaking of the sacrament, I read the Mathew account of the suffering of Jesus Christ, and the Resurrection. Oh how much I gained a great understanding and appreciation of the Atonement. I sat there thinking of the Savior. I sat there and could picture Him crying to His father to help Him relieve the pain. But the Loving Heavenly Father, probably bitterly held back because He knew it had to be accomplished. How perfectly loving that act of the Savior was. As I read the angel state, "He is not here, for he is Risen" I add my personally pure testimony. I know He lives. I believed it before my mission, but now I know as a perfect knowledge that Jesus Christ lives, He is the Son of God, and the Savior of the World. This knowledge has come from desire and study. But has come through the power of the Holy Ghost. I cannot and will not deny the testimony I have of the living Christ. I know He lives, I'm so grateful for the strong, unfailing testimony that I have been blessed with. I just hope and prayer now that I will be able to help those around me know of these truths also!! I love my life, and the Savior. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Thank you so much family for being amazing. You are all my favorite!! Send pictures please :D

Love you all

Elder Rasmussen