Dear Family
This last week was a week full of miracles. Many things happened and we are just preparing for the new missionaries to come onto the island. This will be fun to be with the flesh bloods that are on fire just coming out of the MTC. But yeah this Wednesday night they will fly in at 10 pm, and we will be picking them up from the airport at about 11:00 pm getting home around 12:30 and getting them checked in and everything, we will probably be sleeping by 2:00 am. Then the next morning we take them out running at 6 so we'll have to wake up at 5:45. so yeah around 4 hours of sleep. I’m excited about that part of it haha. But it's going to be way fun to be able to bring the fire and help them understand the Taiwan Taipei mission way of life for the first day or two on island. It's going to be quit the experience I’m excited. But for this week.
I would like to relay a story that has a wonderful outcome and a very strong testimony learned about repentance and answers to prayers. It was a night and we were contacting. I saw a young man about college age. I started talking to him; he didn't have a lot of interest or anything. So I was just thinking how I could help him come unto Jesus Christ and change his life. I saw a pack of cigarettes in his hand. I said do you want to quit smoking. He said actually I really want to but I've never had the energy or ability to do so. I bore testimony of the power of the Savior and His atonement. I then asked him for the pack he gave them to me. I told him OK so right now are you willing to quit smoking. He started sweating and said just now when you took that from my I just got the greatest urge to smoke. I told him that it was Satan that was tempting Him, and how in fact He really didn't need to smoke. I promised him that he wouldn't need to smoke if He quit now. But he was in a rush for classes at the local college, he asked the pack back from me. I told Him no because he didn't need to smoke. He asked again and I didn't again because I thought that it was sinning to smoke. Because he was running out of time he just said ok and walked off to get to class in time. I didn't have any feeling. Then about 5 minutes later I had the greatest feeling of guilt sweep over my entire body. I thought about what I just did, I thought I was preventing him from sinning but in fact I was committing two sins. Both of great significance, but one being a very serious one that sent a certain one from God's presence in the Pre-Earth life. I stole first of all, because he didn't really willingly give it to me, and I wouldn't give it back. But the worst was, I completely took away his free agency, the choice to follow or not follow God. I forced him to follow God in the instance. The exact thing that Satan got cast out forever for! I just felt awful. I thought well there is no way that I’ll find him and be able to ask his forgiveness and give him back the cigarettes. But I went all throughout the streets looking for him and trying to find him. But it is a very big area, and by this time it had been at least 10 minutes of him traveling and me in the same place. He could be anywhere. After a minute of looking and not coming up with success. I decided to say a prayer. I took my helmet off leaned over my bike and poured my soul out to the Lord in forgiveness for my wrongs. I felt so sorry, I just pleaded with Heavenly Father to forgive me for what I have done, and if there be any way just please let me find him again so I can give him the cigarettes back and ask for his forgiveness. I said amen and hear a door open. I looked behind me and across the street a man came out of the door. Holding the same cup that the man I talked to held. I yelled his name but he didn't hear me. I then raced my bike over toward him, I said his name one more time and he turned. It was him. The same man. I just had a great burden and weight immediately taken off my heart. I asked if I could give him his cigarettes back and if he would forgive me. He said don't worry about it, just throw them away. I insisted on giving them to him. He took them back and said thank you. I then shook his hand and thanked him. It was interesting how quickly my prayer was answered. The best part was, God answered a prayer that gave someone the opportunity to sin by smoking in response to a humble servant that needed to be forgiven. God really is merciful. I know He lives, He loves each and every one of us. I also know that He listens to prayers. I have no doubt about it! I love my Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ. It was a really great experience. I’m grateful for prayer. There is no way that it was just coincidence. Right when I’m done saying the prayer he walks out the door behind me. It was an answer to a prayer. Number 1 hundred billionth of my mission. I’m just so grateful for the testimony the Lord has given me of prayer.
Well this last week we were busy with exchanges. We went on three different exchanges with the zone leaders. It was great. We really are blessed with leaders that get it in our mission. They are all willing to work and really want to be sanctified and accomplish what they are called to do. Oh how I love this work. I just love seeing a bunch of young men leading the world through the power of the priesthood and organization. It is a wonderful sight to see. But on the exchanges the Lord once again was merciful and I saw many many miracles, miracles that are not explainable by the tongue and can't be expressed adequately through words. In a night and a morning the Lord just lead me. I truly was a tool in His hands. I ran into five different women, in which 3 set dates on the street to be baptized and wanted to learn more. It was unbelievable, it was just so beautiful. One I would like to expound on is a women by the name of Sister An (It's not her real name, but yeah you get the point) She is a women that hasn't been loved her whole life and really is scared of that word. She feels like God if He really loves us wouldn't allow Satan to tempt us. She has no self confidence thinking that she is not good enough for anything. Thinks that she is failing in life, and is just not worth anything. As I looked into her eyes I saw a daughter of God. I saw the potential of being married in the temple and becoming a queen of worlds. It was an amazing sight. I saw the truth in her that Satan has clouded out by worldly things. How I longed to help her life and help her understand her worth and potential as a daughter of God. I prayed with her she sobbed, face full of tears. She felt the spirit and the love of God and become happy, why though? Because in 1 Nephi it explains perfectly why she was happy. chapter 11 verse 22 and 23 "And I answered him, saying; Yea, it is the love of God, which sheddeth itself abroud in the hearts of the children of men; wherefore it is the most desirable above all things" "And he spake unto me, saying: Yea, and the most joyous to the soul." I know the love of God filled her soul on that street side, that day. I know she saw in herself what she has never seen. Hope for a new life, hope for a new life not only physically, emotionally, but spiritually. A hope with a new feeling about herself and the world through the eyes of the Almighty. It was a beautiful sight. I then said Sister in order to start over will you follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized by someone holding the proper priesthood authority of God? She looked at me and said YES!!!!! I was so happy. I helped her know what she needed to do and how she needed to do it in order to have this new life and she was ready. I then found out that she was a mom with a son of the age of 11. Her relationship with her husband wasn't great at all and she was really worried about her son. I could see the fear of the world in her eyes not knowing what to do or how to do it. But then I saw the light brighten her sobbing face with a bright hope in Christ and the true church that bears His name. The one thing I was worried about is because we were on exchanges she didn't live in my area so I had to hand her over to another missionary to teach which I’m always worried about because I just want them to be taken care of. Then I found out that she lives in my son’s (Elder Workman, my trainee) area, that made me really happy that he will have the chance to teach her and help her change, becoming closer to the Savior. I just love this church so very much, I know it's true. I know that the atonement of Jesus Christ changes those that are willing to accept its power. I love this gospel because it is an action gospel. We can't just sit back on the couch and expect salvation, we need to act, and help others receive the same blessings we have. That is the importance of serving a mission. I love my mission, it has changed my life, and I know that the Lord is happy with what I've done and is accepting the work I’m putting forth. The mission is the best thing ever. On the way back from this exchange we took the J (underground speed rail) back toward the church. We were walking to the church, I saw a man sitting on a scooter, I just opened my arms like I was welcoming him, said to him, “Sir would you like to come to church?” He said, “When?” I said right now. He picked up his stuff and followed us to the church. It was amazing, talk about I’ll make you fishers of men. We had some other things we needed to do, so we had the temple tour sisters give him a tour, they said that it went very well and he really liked it. Something very strange is happening in Taiwan right now. The people are going crazy, and everyone is accepting the gospel. It's the most precious thing; people that are prepared are just poking out of nowhere and accepting the gospel. The mission is at a high of baptismal dates and just keeps getting better and better. It is amazing to see and so great to be a part of. It's great to be in the position I’m blessed to be in right now, it's allowed me to see the mission from a different prospective and allowed me to better understand the needs of the mission and each missionary. I've loved helping them and just helping them feel better about their missions and have a fun time in serving the Lord. This calling has been a blessing to me!! Taiwan is exploding right now!!
Speaking of exploding we were in the office at 3 in the afternoon and a 5.7 earthquake hit the city. It was cool; we got shook back and forth pretty hard sitting in our office chairs. It was intense. We just turned our chairs and looked at each other and laughed. Anyway....
This week I had a sweet experience that I’ll never forget. An American family from China came over and visited Taiwan for a while. We were there a certain night that they were there. I saw this family they have 4 kids. The oldest being 17 and the youngest almost 2 years of age. I asked them randomly if the kids would like to go contact with us. They were like yeah sure. So I took the older son 14 years old and the older sister 17 years old. God set it up perfect, there Chinese is not good, but it was so fun to see them try so hard. I just went up the first guy I saw, he was smoking just outside of the church grounds. I said to him "these people just came from china and they share a special message, can they share it with you. There Chinese isn't so great, so have patience" he said OK. The kid stepped forward and space out on the thing I told him to say. So I whispered back in his ear. Do you believe in God. He said it again and the guy understood. He very simply replied but they still didn't understand. I told them what he said. Then I took over and contacted Him sharing the reason of needing a God and the importance. He didn't have any interest. The next was a couple. It was the daughters turn. She said it and the women said yes I believe. She said cool. Then I took over and actually the women really had interest and gave us her information to call her and set up. So it was a really fun experience to see these young members that don't speak any Chinese just sharing the gospel. I just thought to myself, if these young men and women can do it, why are some missionaries just not willing to open their mouths and talk to everyone. Why can't they share the gospel so willingly, just like these visitors were? It was a great learning experience of the purity in heart of those that love the Lord and want to share His gospel.
Well to start this next miracle let me just tell you. Taxi drivers in Taiwan never want to hear the gospel. I've asked everyone I've ever come in contact with, and not one has accepted me. We walked out of the church one night. I saw a taxi driver with his door open smoking. I said to him, do you want to change your life. He said yes. I told him we wanted to take him to church that moment. So I took the taxi drove it around the block and parked in our churches underground parking lot. We took him on a tour about how he can change his life and become a better dad and person. We invited him to be baptized to change; he said yes I’m willing. It was an amazing miracle. Because taxi drivers do not make a lot of money, and their work is a lot like the fishing line in the water. The longer they drive around the more chances they have to get customers. He took a Friday night (the business night on the streets) and came into the church. It was an amazing thing. It was a huge miracle and first on my mission!! He really wants to quit smoking, so we told him how, and he's really excited to start. He doesn't live in our area though, so we'll have to give him to other elders also. That same day I contacting a 80 year old man that ended up coming. Well it turns out that he doesn't even speak mandarin very well at all, he speaks the native tongue of Taiwanese. I don't know how he got there though, maybe he could understand some Mandarin. But he really wants to understand the gospel. That day I was on exchanges with one of the zone leaders and luckily he was a Taiwan native. So he could speak the language. It was cool to watch them converse back and forth in Taiwanese, I had my companion that day tell me how to say some things in Taiwanese so I could share my testimony. Taiwanese is completely different than mandarin. You can sometimes pick up some things just by listening, but speaking it is very very hard. But yeah, that was a really cool experience also.
Things are going great here in Taiwan. I love this work so much. I know this work is true. It is the work of the Lord. He leads it today and guides it's every move. As long as we are willing to prayer and receive his inspiration through the power of the Holy Ghost, we will be successful in life and especially in this work. I know that because I've had the opportunity to see many people come unto the gospel of Jesus Christ, and partake of its blessings. I love my mission and most of all I adore and love the Taiwanese people. I don't want to leave them!
love,
Elder Rasmussen
PS: Josh, That is awesome, I hope that you are way excited, I’m way excited for you. Yup start listening to the radio in Spanish. I bet if you really wanted to, and really tried you could learn a lot of Spanish in a month and a half. I actually will be studying Spanish also. I hope to learn Spanish and speak all 3 languages. I know if I do so the Lord will have many ways for me to be a tool in His hands. Josh you are a stud, you are going to be a great missionary for the Lord. I can't wait to get home and do companionship studies with you. It's going to be so much fun to see you blossom and bloom into an effective advocate in the hands of the Lord. Thank you for this choice Josh. You'll never be sorry, you will have the time of your life. Know it's going to be very very very hard though. But it's joy is more than worth it. Also the relationship you share and build with God is priceless. I love you so much Josh, thank you for choosing to serve the Lord. Also a word of caution: Satan will start to work extra hard, don't even get near the edge, run as far to the middle as you can, strap yourself to the scriptures, PMG, and church. Don't leave it for anything. I know you’re going to do work! Love ya bud!