Sunday, November 7, 2010

I Love this Work, I’m so Blessed to be a Part of it in these Latter-days!

Dear Family,

It was a great week. First of all thank you so much for the no bake cookies. Yes I made them, and yes they were amazing. I made them for the ward, they all loved them. I didn't have any measuring items for the ingredients that still needed measuring, so I just eye balled it, and it turned out OK. Thank you so much for sending those, it made me happy :D This last week was full of miracles and cool experiences being in the service of the Lord.

But this week, we saw two investigators receive the Holy Ghost which was a great experience. As I stood around the circle and as they received the Holy Ghost. The words were spoken and Receive the Holy Ghost, or Bing Jie Shou Sheng Ling. Both times as that was said, I literally felt a pulse of energy run from my heart through my hands and into the other person’s body. It testified to me both times that the Power of the Holy Ghost is real, and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost for a completion of remission of sins is also real. I was grateful that the Lord allowed me to be in that situation. Where my testimony was strengthened and I saw two of my good friends receive that great gift, that is the best gift one can receive here in mortality. What a wonderful experience. It was really interesting, both of them were as happy as happy had ever been after they received the Holy Ghost. Rita, after the baptism of sister Chen, she was just so happy, smiling, and talking with everyone, you could literally tell in her eyes that something was different. The Holy Ghost had taken a part in her life now and she was a new person. Also We called Marissa last night to see how her day at church went. She told us that she feels like shes floating in the clouds right now, she feels like she's in Heaven. When I heard she said that, my heart couldn't help but thank God for the opportunity I have to take part in this glorious work, and be able to share this precious gospel with all those surrounding me. How great is my calling!!

This week, we found 10 more new investigators. I want to talk specifically about one. Because once again the Lord put an amazingly prepared person in my path. We were out contacting one night, we were about to go home, we were sitting on a road when I heard the sound of a door open. I looked to my left and a younger women came out of the door right next to me. I said hi she said hi, I smiled then started talking to her. She was 23 years old and her name was Peggy. We started talking, I told her I have a message I need to share with her. She had no beliefs so she said OK. We set up 2 days later on Thursday night. Thursday night we met with her and taught her about Jesus Christ, how this gospel will help every aspect of her life. We committed her to be baptized and she simply and happily accepted. We set her up for 2 days later on Saturday. We met with her on Saturday night, she had read the 3rd lesson pamphlet that we gave her, the little tract that we gave her, and has read through 1 Nephi 15. She came and said I have a question. She was like why in Nephi’s dream when the angel is showing him everything, does he see the word taken away. I was dumbfounded by that question. I didn't hear what she said the first time, so I questioned to make sure I understood I said what with Laban. She was like no that was a long time ago, I already read through that and understand it. Then we went through the apostasy and restoration pattern since the beginning of time. She understood it all, and understood what Nephi was seeing. I asked her, “Peggy do you believe these things are true?” She said yes, I said why? She said because if they weren't none of this would be here. That was a sweet answer. Child like faith. She is absolutely amazing. We sat with her in the lesson talked about church, she said yes I’ll come before we even invited her. Then In her closing prayer she thanked God for allowing her the opportunity to go to church on the morrow, and how she was so excited because it was her first time going to church. she also brilliantly expressed her feelings about how she now knows through prayer that there is a God listening and always by her side. Man I don't even know how to express what I feel, she was so prepared. She came to church 15 minutes early. She stayed all 3 hours, then the extra hour and a half for the baptism after. Then Sunday night at 5 she came back ate with us, and went to the fireside with us. She spent pretty much the whole day at church, it was awesome. Then Sunday night at the fireside a speaker brought up The Law of Chastity, and The Word of Wisdom. So walking back to the bus stop I talk them to her, and she had no problem with either. She only drank coffee every once in a while. She committed to both right then and there. It was amazing. She is awesome. She's just so happy, and willing to learn these things. I wish all people were as excited as she is in learning about the gospel!

This week we also had a great district meeting, and a great zone conference. The theme for the week was our purpose. Which is to invite others to come unto Christ by faith in Jesus Christ and His atonement, repentance, baptism by immersion, receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and helping them endure to the end; which is the doctrine or gospel of Jesus Christ. It was a great zone conference. We talked about the need to teach people the gospel of Jesus Christ and getting them progressing toward baptism. I don't know if you've heard but the prophet and the first presidency have come out that worldwide in missionary work we or us missionaries are commanded to invite everybody on the first lesson to be baptized. It has been an amazing change, I mean I was pretty much doing that before. But it's cool to know that the prophet of the Lord has commanded us to do so. It has boosted up the mission, and the mission is in a great position only to be progressing quickly day by day. I love being apart of this. In Zone conference President Grimley said I don't know what it is but I feel something special is happening here in the Taipei mission, and you Elders and Sisters get to be apart of it! Me personally, I’ve been feeling a change worldwide in missionary work. I know I’m only in little Taiwan, but I really especially lately have had a weird feeling that things are about to explode and the Lord is just setting up His church the way he needs it in preparation for the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. I know special things are happening and they'll only continue to happen. Maybe josh, Cade, Britton, or Abby could go to china and open it up!! You never know, but NOW is the time to prepare for what the future has in store. The Lord needs prepared people that are willing to sanctify and give of all themselves to the Lord and his work. I love this work, I’m so blessed to be a part of it in these last latter-days. I know God lives, This is His only living and true church. I see miracles every day, I know the Lord loves me because I have a personally relationship with Him. I love my life so much!!

This last week on Wed was my year mark on Island. I know I’m getting old. I still have a while but the fact that President already went over my going home date with me. Time is flying by. I’m trying my best to make use of every second because I know time won’t stop, it just keeps rolling on and we don't get back any of it that we waste. All we can do is make the most of every second we have so we won't need to look back and question, we will feel in our hearts that we have made the most use of the time that we have been blessed to have. Lately I’ve had a drive to make good use of my time. Things before my mission that controlled my life, Xbox, TV, listening to music. They are good and can be very uplifting, but the Lord has changed it, I know my time is precious and I’m starting to figure out how I want to spend it. Talents I will pick up when I get home, piano, guitar. I want to get married more than ever, and have kids more than ever. I will play golf in college. I will graduate on the high honors and move on to a Job that will be supportive of me and my family (Including my extended family) I will receive eternal life with my family. All of this is driven by a desire to serve the Lord. I have set a goal to help more people after my mission be baptized then on my mission. I will learn Spanish, and Tagalog. I want to contact a Spanish person and a Philippine and help them get baptized through the language that I will develop in the Hand of the Lord. I will to be a sharpened tool of the Lord the rest of my life. I will read the scriptures every day the rest of my life, and communicate. I will not put anything over my family, no matter the circumstance.

I’m just so grateful for all the blessings that the Lord has given you guys. He continues to bless our family for all our efforts in serving and following him. We need to step it up though, there can be more done, and more to accomplish. More people to help, and I know that the Lord will only continue to be by our side in this amazing journey called earth. We can't waste any time, it's too precious. We know our purpose in life, so let’s go accomplish it!!! I love you guys so much.

I love you guys.

Elder Rasmussen

2 Months and counting I get to call you guys and talk to my beloved family. :D So excited.