Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Thoughts on Charity

The Bible dictionary says charity: The Highest, Noblest, Strongest Kind of Love, Not Merely Affection, The Pure Love of Christ. Do I have that kind of love? Right now I would say probably not, but through the Lord I’ve been developing that kind of love, and I know we all can. It’s actually not a “we can thing,” it's a “we must thing.” Charity is the single most important attribute for life's salvation. 2 Nephi 26:30 (look it up) literally without charity we are nothing. We could be good at everything, good looking, have a worldly perfect life, but all that goes to waste without charity (1 Cor 1:3) Personally I believe there are three areas of life that need charity the most: 1) Family life/Marriage, 2) Inside the gospel/missionary work, and 3) At the judgment bar. Mostly I want to talk about the first two then briefly the 3rd.

Family Live/Marriage
The bond between husband and wife is a very sacred bond Heavenly Father has entrusted us with, Isaiah 63:9 (look it up). Just as the angel comforts, we must be our spouses "Angels." We must bare their burdens and like the scripture said, "Carry them all the days of old.” The only way to accomplish this is through charity. Through real, pure charity there would be fewer fights or arguments. And with the true love of Christ I personally would say no more divorces. Because through charity we forgive, also through that charity we wouldn't do anything that would eternally or even harm at all our spouses. The exact opposite of charity is selfishness. I’ve obviously never been married but out here on my mission I’ve seen plenty of families and companionships (Elders and Sisters) torn apart because of selfishness. Satan is the creator of selfishness. Remember the pre-earth life, yeah he wanted to save everyone but he wanted ALL the glory to himself. If that isn't the definition of selfish then I don't know what is. Satan is the master of deceit. He is attacking families more than ever. I see families that both husband and wife served missions, married in the temple, but are less active. Their still amazing people, but Satan has a hold on that part of their lives, which is holding them from receiving God's blessings and improving. Therefore because of Satan's onslaught toward families we must protect our families. Love, Love, Love, not just any love but charity, the true love of Christ. Through the eternal bond of a temple marriage joined with true charity Satan doesn't stand a fighting chance. Hold to your husband and wife, serve them and have charity. You will have a successful marriage regardless of all the fiery darts Satan throws at you!

Inside the Gospel/ Missionary Work
Everything Christ did was out of charity. Healed the sick, cared for the poor, taught the unlearned and learned, then the most sacrificial, charitable event in the history of man, He died for each and every one of us (1 Nephi 19:9, Look it up). The perfect charity he had led him to hang upon a cross, while on the cross, asking God the Eternal Father to forgive those because, "They know not what they do," and eventually his spirit being then taken up to the one he loves and calls DAD! 2 Ne 9:18 (Look it up) Are we willing to follow this perfect example and carry our crosses with Jesus Christ in hopes we will live with him some day? We may be mocked for choosing the right..was Jesus not mocked? Our friends may betray us for choosing the right thing to do...Was Jesus not betrayed by Judas. We may not be accepted by the world for keeping the standards of the church…even being perfect was Jesus Christ not rejected by the world? In missionary handbook it says, "Your loyalty is first to the Lord, then to your mission president, then to your companion." According to Gordon B. Hinckley, "Don't be stupid" Don't follow the ways of the world. Be in the world not of it. Teach the gospel to a world that is ever so desperate for the cleansing ordinances of this gospel...Missionary work, missionary work, and more missionary work. We all need to be involved. This gospel isn't a get baptized, then sit back and relax gospel, we must get up off the couch and invite people to be baptized. (Alma 6:5-6, Look it up). Join together to help those people, sons and daughters of God who will be forever grateful for that invite you gave them to come to church, mutual, family home evening, or meeting with the missionaries. Pray and diligently study for the charity in order to do missionary work among our communities. In Preach My Gospel it tells us how to develop this charity in order to do the work! WE prayer fervently to receive this gift, also study, then look for opportunities to serve others. The word gift is a very important word. Because a gift is to be given something. We can't wake up one morning and tell ourselves we have charity, Because a gift from God must be earned and received from the hands of God himself. We have to do all we can to develop the gift of true charity. Once we start missionary work, through charity, missionary work will be a way of life. Not just we turn 19 or 21 and go on a mission, these both are perfect things we can do. But there is more, missionary work should be a way of life. I have an Aunt, Aunt Nola, if anyone wants an example of living as missionary; you need to look up to her. She's still young in heart and I’m sure since she was born till now she's been blessed with charity and missionary work ability. At family home evening she would tell me stories of her missionary work. I didn't really understand the importance of the work she was doing until I’ve personally come out to serve a mission. She is the best example that we never retire from missionary work. Gordon B Hinckley said that there is a better way to missionary work than just tracting, which is through members! We must befriend those that don't have the gospel yet. Spread the happiness, this is the happiest gospel on earth, SHARE IT! Luke 6:35 (look it up) Help those in need and teach them the true ways of Christ gospel.

At the Judgment Bar
Moroni 7:47(look it up) Charity is everything. Through charity we are accepted into God's kingdom to live with him. Because of charity we receive eternal life, the ability to eternally progress, the ability to live with our families forever and the ability to become Gods. The question is why wouldn't we want charity? Well, we should want it and we also absolutely need it. Heavenly Father has told us through scriptures we need charity to return with Him. Because we need charity he's willing to help us develop it. So how do we develop charity? Simply we must earnestly seek to serve others and study charity diligently. A major factor to studying diligently is prayer. Every single day ask the Lord for charity. Then do all you can to serve. The Lord will start to bless us with more and more charity.

Through studying charity I have grown to realize the true pure love of Christ. To even start to understand the love the Savior has for each and every one of us is a landmark for me to reach. This perfect charity led him to accomplish the atonement, which gives us all a path to return to live with Him. I know without a single doubt that the atonement is real. I’ve felt the healing power as I’ve knelt down in prayer to ask if my life's sins have been forgiven. I can tell you I received my answer. It's an experience I wish not to share, but I know the Lord has cleansed me. Jesus Christ is our Savior, He already suffered for our sins. Now we just have to accept that suffering. Just think about it, the Savior already suffered for every single sin. So when we don't repent, the savior suffered already for that sin really for nothing other than pure love for us. But if we don't use the atonement we really are just letting the Savior suffer! We need to use the atonement, repent every day, and come unto Jesus Christ. I know he lives! I know he lives! And loves us, He is our Savior and the only way to receive eternal life is through Him. So let us turn unto him. In His name, even Jesus Christ, Amen.