Monday, October 12, 2009

MTC...Way Better than Chocolate Milk!

Hey Family!!! How are ya guys doing? Hope all is well, cause I’ll tell ya that all is fantastic here at the MTC. I'm absolutely loving it, I’ve never done something so hard in my life but at the same time loved it so much. But I’m glad to hear that everyone is still working hard in school and in all aspects of their lives. You guys built a soccer goal? That’s sweet, I love how dad is so good at making random things that always brings us happiness, thanks dad!!!!

But this last Saturday we taught the 2nd lesson for the first time in Chinese. I spent all week preparing to teach the lesson, and I was way nervous to be honest with you. But each Saturday we teach a lesson to volunteers that come in and let us teach them as real investigators it's called the TA, but each Saturday along with the lesson we have a language assignment we have to complete. This week was we had to tell the investigator how to get to church, follow up on some commitments that he had, and set up another appointment to teach the lesson. So we go in there to the language assignment portion which is supposed to be about 10-15 minutes. So I "kinda" explained how to get to church, but it needed work at best. Then my companion just went off since he knows a lot more then I do he did all that was required of the language part, then when he ran out of things to say, he turned to me to back him up. I didn't have a clue what he said, what the investigator had said, or where in the conversation we were at. So I just shrugged my shoulders and didn't say anything, cause I honestly had no clue what to say. So after the language part we have like 15 minutes to talk it over with our teacher and then we prepare to teach the lesson in like 5 minutes. So we get out and were talking to the teacher, and my companion was like, “Why didn't you say anything?” I said I didn't have anything to say. And he was like, “Well you need to.” I was really frustrated to be honest, cause I couldn't understand and how was I supposed to teach to the investigator's needs if I couldn't even understand what my companion was saying let alone what the investigator was saying. I was struggling, I broke down in tears. But my teacher who we got a new one about a week ago (one of my favorite people I’ve met in my entire life) really helped me. He was like hey, remember what you said to me in class last week, you can do anything with the Lord, and he was like I know you can do it, I have complete confidence and faith in you. Then he's like remember all the vocab you were studying and all the hard work you put in. Then he's like I’ll make you a promise if you'll open your mouth I know the Lord will put words in your mouth. so that really gave me some confidence and I told the Lord I’m going to listen as hard as I can and if I open my mouth I need your help cause I can't do it without you. So we went into teach the second lesson, and to be honest it was better than even teaching the 1st lesson for the second time. It actually went really well, I have a long way to go until I get good, but the Lord really blessed me. And I was really able to understand the investigator it got to a point in the lesson when I felt that the investigator needed to hear my story about Trey dying and how I know that I’ll see him again through the Plan of Salvation. So as best as I could I tried to tell the story of Trey dying and my praying to find out that I’ll be able to see him again. I felt the spirit really strong. And after the investigator told me that that story really touched him and really met his needs. So the Lord really blessed me and allowed me to be successful. Plus after he told me that my language was a lot better than I had confidence that it was, I just need to show that confidence and not be nervous to speak up and speak what the spirit tells me to say. So all in all it was a really good experience and really helped me grow.

Let’s see oh yeah a pretty funny little story. In our fireside Sunday night we had a guy come speak who is the director of missionary services. So he's one of the top guys. And the whole time he'd be saying things like who misses their mom, stand up. So everyone that misses their mom would stand up and all that kind of stuff. So later on in the devotional he asked, who's got a dear john already. And knowing that my companion had, I grabbed him by the sides and pushed him up so he was standing. It was so funny, he was the only 1 of like 10 out of 2000 missionaries in a room that was standing. And to make things funnier there are 2 huge jumbo screens in that room, the camera zeroed in on him and he was the only one sitting on the camera in front of everyone. I thought it was way funny, but I guess you had to be there to get the whole gist of it.

I don't know if I’ve told you guys this, but for the last like 2 weeks I’ve been district leader, it's not that big of a deal just thought I’d let you guys know. But it's a great opportunity to serve my district and really try and serve out of Love. I'm loving the responsibility so far.

Also last wed we had the opportunity to host the new missionaries. You know when you dropped me off and all those missionaries were standing there to get me, yeah that’s what we did. It was actually really fun and a really good experience, we get to do it this wed also. It's crazy that this wed is our 8 week mark in the MTC.

Also something a little crazy. In sacrament we sang a song for the congregation. Yeah I know Brock sang in public!!! haha, but yeah we sang I’ll spread the world his truth, or whatever it is called, out of the children hymn book. But it was funny, it was my district which is 6 of us, and 2 other elders joined in with us. They had to beg me into singing cause I don't like singing, and I’ve never sung in public before. But it didn't go too bad. But it did remind me of the one time when I was at Kaysville Jr. High, and I tried out for the choir to get the variance...how I walked in the room and found out that all the choir was going to listen to my audition. And I actually made the whole choir get up and leave the room cause I was too embarrassed to sing in front of them. Haha, good memories.

But I gotta tell ya, I’m absolutely loving it here. I've honestly never been happier, nope not even when drinking chocolate milk, haha but seriously it's awesome. It's very hard, but anything worth it was never easy. Neither is salvation, and if the Lord suffered the great and terrible death that he did for us, I sure as heck can stand these simple things and get a smallest lick of the pain. I know I can do this, God is with me and I know that he has blessed me with the Holy Ghost. I know that I’ll be successful if I’ll put my effort in and do all I can, he'll do the rest and allow me to bring the gospel to the people of Taiwan.

Our new elders from Hong Kong leave on Wed, which is really sad. They have really been a blessing to our district, and we have all grown to really love them, we are really going to miss them terribly. But they'll do great out in the field.

But I Love you guys so much, thank you so much for all the support that you give me and all the Love that you guys show me. I honestly couldn't have asked for an even close to as an amazing family as I have with you guys. You guys are my life. Thank you so much for putting up with me for 18 years and all the kids thank you so much for letting me be your big brother. It has been such a blessing to me to learn and grow from trying to be a good example to you guys. But what you guys don't know is I probably learned more from you guys them you did from me. You are the best brothers, and sister that I could ever ask for. I love you guys so much. I hope you guys are all still getting along, and showing love for each other. Love is the most important thing you can have in life. Cause through love you can be anything and accomplish anything. It's through love that our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ died for us and it's through Love that Heavenly Father created us, and this world. It's through love that we will return to live with him again. And it's through love that we will get through this life the best we can. Do all you can to show love and live with love. It's not good enough to just love someone, you have to tell them. Tell each other as much as possible that you love each other and share that love that I know you guys have with all the people around you. You guys are the best inspiration to me!!!!!!

I love you guys so much. Thank you for everything. Keep up the good work, and just to let you know I’m working my butt of to keep the Rasmussen name represented!!! Haha. Love you guys. I pray for you guys every single night and morning.

Love- Elder Rasmussen

God listens and knows each and every one of us. He WILL answer our prayers.