Sunday, August 1, 2010

You Find out Your Real Character Through Trials!

FAMILY.........

Looks like Josh had a blast. Man he looks all grown up and mature it's really cool to see him in all these pictures, I love him so much I miss hanging out with him every day!! He's a stud and he looks great.....Whatever he does just make sure that he keeps reading his scriptures and saying prayers every day, going to church every week, and when accepting a church calling doing it beyond expectations because the Lord's expectations are perfect. But I’m really proud of him....I bet he goes to Belize on his mission!!

But for my week...We've been still finding a lot of people and doing great work and trying really hard. But the people that told us would come to church never ended up coming, but it's alright I’ve been loving church lately. I’ve been really focusing on partaking of the sacrament and renewing the covenant I made when I was baptized at the age of 8. It has been cool also to really picture eating the body of my Savior, and drinking the blood. I know that sounds a little weird but I’ve been really focusing on that aspect of church and have been praying before and preparing to receive a remission of that week’s sins. Every time I partake of the sacrament I feel my sins washed away and have a clean slate. I never had that feeling before my mission and never really focused on the Atonement like I should have. But I guess it's always better late than never. So it’s all going really well.

As far as this week, we taught 2 new investigators that are excellent. They are really truly prepared. One of them is going to America on August 21st and the other is staying in Taiwan. They both committed to reading the scriptures and praying. They said they would get baptized but weren't willing to actually set the date yet. But they have a date in mind and will go home and prayer about it. It was a huge relief because we've been working so hard and not a ton of success. But that was the Lord’s answer to many prayers and much sweat. It has been quite an experience in this area, much different than any other area I’ve served in. It’s a little hard to take it where you think it should go being the junior companion but it's going so great. I love my companion and we are doing so well together. It's fun with him, and I’m learning a lot. I’m so happy with him in this area. But there is a Korean Elder coming on next transfer and my companion is Korean so there is a good chance that he will be training so we'll have to see if I’ll be moving or I’ll stay in this area and he'll move. I’m almost at my year mark; time really is flying by so fast. I don't want it to be over, but I’m enjoying every minute of it. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. Well maybe if Josh got called here also, that would be way cool. But down in South America the work is exploding so if he went there that would be sweet also. I met a friend in the MTC and she wrote me the other day saying they average 40 lessons with a member present every week. If they don't have a member present they can't count it as a lesson. It's crazy, she said the area she is in right now has so many golden investigators and they are just baptizing left and right. Taiwan definitely has that kind of potential I’ve already seen it on my mission, but the members here aren't ready for that kind of potential, they aren't doing member work like they need to be doing. They aren't inviting their friends or anything. But it will come sooner or later when they'll have all their friends lining up to hear the gospel and receive of the blessing of the gospel.

This last week was fun, on Tuesday and Wednesday my companion had to go to Taipei for a training meeting, so I had the opportunity to take around two different men on each day to do missionary work. It was cool, many miracles were seen. It was cool to see how the youth in Taiwan are getting prepared to serve missions. One of them wouldn't contact at all and was scared to open his mouth but in teaching he was good and was willing to help me teach and willing to help the investigator feel of the truthfulness of these things. Then the other one loves contacting. He's 18 years old and he loves to talk to everyone just like it should be. We saw lots of miracles together and it’s fun to work with him. I’ve done some splits with him before. His English is also pretty good, his name is Jasper. He just got back from BYU from EFY. So that was fun to lead them and guide them and just go do missionary work. We were going to where we planned on tracting and I got a feeling to go back one more road and start there. So we did, we started tracting and we tracted into a less active member. We were able to sit down with him and strengthen his faith; he's still got a ton of work to do. But then as we left his house a kid on a bike flew by. I yelled at him to stop and come to find out I had contacted him a month back. So we sat down on the stairs and taught him right there on the street. He set up for another time and as he came and we taught him the second time he is really prepared. When we invited him to be baptized he said he'll have to ask his mom, which kind of scared me because most of the time that never works out. But his mom knew he was meeting with us, and his dad read the pamphlet that we gave him and he said that he liked it. So that made me feel a little bit better about him talking to his family. But that was a cool miracle with that young man to witness. Then with Jasper I ran into a guy who 10 years ago ran into missionaries and they gave him a Book of Mormon. He is now about 32 years old, it was cool to see him. I was able to teach him on the street and hopefully we'll be able to find another time to meet with him and help him start coming to church and knowing these things are true. So that was another way cool miracle that I was able to see. The Lord really is letting us find a lot of people, and we are seeing miracles.

Things are going good, it's hard sometimes but I know through the hard times is when you grow the most and learn the most. I love trials. I love them because you find out your real character through trials, and you find out how much your faith in Jesus Christ really is. It's a cool thing to be able to rely on the Savior and be lifted above that which you are able to do. We are working really hard, there are areas we can improve and we're working on it. But I know sooner or later we'll find a way to help this area explode and help the children of the Lord come unto His fold and know He exists.

I know God lives. I know Him, I love him, I serve Him. This is his work and no one else's. The second we think it's anyone else's we'll fail. I love my Savior Jesus Christ; I know that through the Atoning sacrifice of his body and blood I’ve been cleansed of my sins before the mission. I know that I’m clean and that I carry a testimony to the world that is strong and firm just like my patriarchal blessing said I'd have the opportunity to do. I love the Lord for allowing me to receive a personal knowing witness that he lives and love each and every one of us. I love nothing more than to stand in front of people and tell them I know that God lives, and I know that this is his gospel. I know the gospel of Jesus Christ changes lives; it's already changed mine and continues to do so day by day. I can't wait to come home and be with my family and again, but know that right now my duty and opportunity is here in Taiwan. My whole heart, might, mind and strength are here!! I love you guys with all my heart. I hope you guys know that. I also love this country, the people, (not the food completely...yet) and everything about it. I’m so grateful for the Lord allowing me to serve Him and allowing me to be a part of many of his miracles. This work is true, we are all involved. We told Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ when we were baptized that we would care for those around us and share the gospel with our friends. We need to start doing it, happiness that we've never felt before is awaiting us. Continue to read Preach My Gospel. Read it every day; study it on your own to. Live by the principles, know it so when a Buddhist, another Christian, or a non believer asks you about our church you can confidently through the spirit tell them exactly what a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints believes, exactly what the teaching of Jesus Christ really are, and exactly what we need to return to live with him again. It’s all in the book. But once it's becomes our life we won’t need to use the book anymore because people will see the book in work by our actions. This gospel is so true, I love my life!!!!!

I love you so much family, thank you so much for all the support and love that you show me. I’m so glad that you guys are my family members I love being around you guys. You guys give me a good feeling and allow me to become the best I can become, and you guys provide me an atmosphere to grow into what the Lord wants me to become. Thank you for that...

Love your son and Older Brother,

Elder Rasmussen